This is a complete guide on how to start a beauty blog and be successful with it. If you are passionate about blogging about beauty you should definitely consider starting a beauty blog and make money at the same time.
When people are starting a beauty blog at first it usually starts as a hobby and after a while, you will be amazed at the opportunities that you may never imagine. You will get email contacts on people to want to add sponsored posts on your blog, people wanna buy beauty related items, etc. And one of the most amazing things is that you can always create your own community when it comes to starting a beauty blog, you can create your own Facebook group, you can create an Instagram account where your visitors can follow you, create a YouTube channel to connect with new audiences as well. You shouldn’t be worried too much about competition when you are starting a beauty blog, and one of the reasons is that you will create your own unique story and that’s why you will stand out from the crowd.
When you are blogging, you have the freedom to work on your own schedule and have control over your life. There are a lot of topics to write posts as well when you are first starting a makeup blog or beauty blog. People always gonna needs how to’s tutorials to help them with something. And when you first start a beauty blog, you gonna have a lot of fun, you can meet some interesting people and will improve your skills along the way.
Kick-starting your blogging journey
Firstly, learning how to start a beauty blog is not very difficult. You don’t need to have any coding skills, only a small investment to kick-start your beauty blogging journey that can be very rewarding for you. You may be starting something as a hobby, but later you can be an expert within the beauty niche, so you can see a lot of doors that will start to open. But, before we continue, there are a few things for you to know before you start a beauty blog.
Starting a Beauty Blog with Purpose
Having a purpose and passion for beauty blogging can keep you going long term to get results.
- Blogging is not a quick-rich scheme but can be very lucrative if you implement the right moves. It only costs a few bucks to start a blog, that’s why you can see a lot of blogs with no content.
- Your blog will be different than you first start with it. Being flexible will allow you to take risks and make simple changes for the better.
- Being patient. As the saying goes, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Nothing happens overnight, you need to put some consistency when you first start, so you can see results later. You can see in the first month your blog maybe will not have many visitors, that’s when your passion kicks-in to keep you going in tough times.
After we have sorted this now, and if you are 100% sure that you want to start a beauty blog, let’s continue.
1. How to start a beauty blog with a good name
You wanna identify your target readers, people that gonna love your content. The word “beauty” can mean a lot of things. You maybe wanna learn how to start a makeup blog and write only about makeup or cosmetics f0r women. Maybe you are inspired to start a fashion blog and that is something that you may wanna do.
Depending on what your name gonna be, I recommend something that is catchy and easy to remember. You can put your name and then another keyword next to it. For example, if your name is Alex, you can name your blog alexcosmetics.com or if you decide to start a makeup blog you can go with makeupbyalex.com. Having something that is easy to remember you will always have returning visitors on your blog.
I highly recommend going with the .com domain, this is a great way to build trust with your visitors, and in my next paragraph, I will show you how to get the best deal on domain and hosting.
2. Domain & Hosting
Building trust and a good relationship with your readers is very important, that’s why I do not advise my readers using free platforms and free hostings. You can start a blog with free platforms like weebly.com or blogspot.com but your blog will look something like beautyblog.weebly.com and you will have limited features. There will be ads shown all over your blog and can be easily shut down because you don’t have full control over it.
So what is the next step?
Registering a domain name could cost you around $15 per year, and decent hosting can cost you $7-10 per month. This can be a lot of money for beginners, that’s why I have a very special deal for you.
For as low as $2.95 a month, you will get a FREE domain name, FREE SSL certificate to protect your visits data, security features and 24/7 customer support that is phenomenal and of course 60% OFF on hosting. This is a deal that you do not want to miss.
I’ve been a Bluehost customer for many years, I’m really impressed by the customer support that they offer because the agents are really educated and can solve and assist you with any problem. They will make the journey for starting a beauty blog much easier. They have a very impressive speed for their shared web hosting plans, your website loading will be under1 second. This is a perfect deal to start a beauty blog journey.
After you see the homepage of BlueHost, click on Get Started and the following plans will appear:
Selecting the hosting plan
I recommend selecting the Basic plan because you are just starting a beauty blog and by the way, you get a really good deal of 50 GB SSD storage and unlimited bandwidth. Hostings like SiteGround only offer 10,000 monthly visitors and 10 GB SSD storage and their basic plan is more expensive than the BlueHost one. Once your blog gets more popular you can always upgrade the BlueHost plans, so you have no worries. Getting 36-months of hosting is a good deal to lock down the lowest possible price for hosting. You will not worry about hosting bills for 3 years. But, depending on your budget, you can pay for 1 year as well. Plus, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee with no questions asked with BlueHost.
The next step is creating the domain. You need to type the name for your beauty blog and click next if it is available.
You need to fill all the personal information correctly, and if you have enough budget I recommend getting Domain Privacy + Protection. This means BlueHost information will be public and not yours. You will not get any annoying calls from people that wanna help you with your blog. If you don’t have enough budget, you can always upgrade later.
Click the box that you agree with BlueHost’s terms of services and then hit the green Submit button.
Congrats, you completed a major step on your journey on how to start a beauty blog!
The next step is to install WordPress, so let’s go.
3. Installing WordPress
You purchased a domain and hosting, now you have full control. BlueHost is very well optimized for WordPress, and within a few clicks, you can install it. You can always reach out to the BlueHost customer support to assist you in installing WordPress, it takes less than a minute to install it.
After you installed it, you may wonder how to log in.
Head over to yourblog.com/wp-admin and the following screen will show up:
After you type the username and password, click Log in. You are now inside your blog’s dashboard.
The first thing I recommend is changing the permalinks. You can do that by going to Settings -> Permalinks.
Select the Post name and then save changes. This is really important because it is better for search engines and looks much better.
Example: yourblog.com/makeup-tutorial is better than yourblog.com/2025/01/01/makeup-tutorial.
4. Best Plugins for your Beauty Blog
Installing a few plugins will help your website to perform better. On the left side on your dashboard, point at Plugins and click Add New. You can find new plugins here to install.
- Yoast SEO: This is the best plugin when it comes to the On-Page SEO optimization, you can easily change titles and descriptions on your posts. You can create a sitemap.xml for Search Console, so Google can crawl your website easier.
- WordFence: The best plugin to protect your website for spammers.
- Social Pug: This is an amazing plugin for your readers to share your content on social media.
- Contact Form 7 or WP Forms: You can go with either one, helps you create a contact form.
- W3 Total Cache: Plugin that will offload some of the work hosting servers needs to do, will result in making your website faster.
- Classic Editor: You can install this plugin if you don’t like the new writing style.
All of the above plugins are free to install. You have PRO versions on some of them, you can unlock all the features that they offer. But I recommend doing this when your blog gets profitable.
5. Install Theme
Installing a good looking theme will make your blog looking good and unique for your visitors.
- Free Themes: You can install free themes by going to Appearance -> Themes -> Add New. You can select the themes by popular ones. You can search for a perfect theme that can catch your eyes. Usually, the free themes have PRO versions, so you can always upgrade them to unlock their features.
- Premium Themes: These kinds of themes will make your blog much more unique than your competition. Depending on a theme features, you can pay around $30-250 on one. You get better support with the premium themes as well. When you first start a beauty blog, you can with Beautiful Pro Theme or Maker Pro Theme.
6. Getting a Logo
Depending on your designing skills, you have two ways to create a good decent logo.
- Canva: I use it daily, a very good website that has a lot of options for different platforms. I use it for Pinterest, the first image on this post is made on Canva. You can make a good logo for your website within few minutes.
- Fiverr: If you don’t have good designing skills, you get a good logo on Fiverr. For around $5-25 you outsource the logo to Fiverr designers. This way your logo will be unique. Just make sure the logo designer offers revision, so if you don’t like something on your logo, he can always go back and change it.
Your readers to know more about you is really important. Having a few pages for them to know you will build more trust.
- My Story page: You can create a page where you explain to your visitors how you started your blog and who you are. Writing 500 words is enough. When they read your story page they will gain more trust in your beauty blog.
- Contact page: It is good to have a contact page, you never know who is visiting your blog and for what kind of collaboration they may contact you.
- Copyright page: This is an optional page if you want your content to be fully yours and protected from stealing.
8. How to Start a Beauty Blog with Quality
Posting high-quality content that will be valuable to your readers is a really important aspect if you want to be successful online. Your blog authority will increase by creating good content and soon enough Google will start ranking your posts for low-competition keywords. There are also a ton of topics to write when you are first starting your blog.
Focusing on engaging content that your readers gonna love. You can get ideas by putting a keyword in the tool called answerthepublic.com. The program will shout out all the most searched questions on google related to that keyword. You can make posts related to those questions the tool shouts out. Mentioning your keyword in the first 100-150 words in your post can help your ranking chances on google. Start taking action and analyze your content with the Yoast SEO plugin.
You can start reaching out to other beauty blogs and nicely asking them for guest posting. They can post a guest post with crediting the author (you), this way you can get some of their visitors on your website and a high-quality backlink for your blog.
Start building an email list, this way you can communicate better with your readers. Email lists have a really great ROI of 3800% long term. GetResponse is one of the best when it comes to building an email list. You can provide subscription form on your blog or promote a high-quality lead magnet when visitors can give you their email for a free makeup brush or beauty related e-book.
9. How to be a Beauty Blogger on Social Media
If you involve social media with your blog can bring you a lot of traffic.
- Pinterest: The platform is 70-80% of women. You can bring a lot of traffic to your blog by creating a good pin. Using Canva can be very beneficial to create a pin in less than a minute. I’ve seen beauty blogs bringing over a million visits per month using Pinterest.
- Instagram: Platform where you can share images and videos. You can much easily interact with your followers and you can promote your beauty blog with a swipe up stories or putting the link in bio. You can automate your Instagram account with this app.
10. How to Start a Beauty Blog and Make Money
Once you learn how to become a beauty blogger, you now can think of monetizing techniques. Makeup and beauty blogs can be very lucrative for yourself. Here are some of my favorite ways to monetize your blog.
One of the easiest ways to start monetizing your beauty blog. You can make money by recommending digital products from ClickBank or physical products from Amazon. You don’t need to worry about support, the creator does it all. If your readers buy something using your link, you get a commission with no extra costs at them.
You can make a post about favorite makeup organizers, and put 5-10 items from Amazon, and when someone purchases from Amazon using your link, you get a 3-10% commission. You need to sign-up for Amazon associates first. If you want to recommend digital products from ClickBank, you can get commission up to 75%.
Great way to monetize your blog without doing much work. You need to sign-up for Google Adsense account, and when you are approved you need to put a banner in your first paragraph in your posts. You can install the Quick Adsense plugin to help you manage the banners. After your blog gets more visitors, I recommend switching over to Ezoic or Mediavine, you can earn 10x on what you did with Google Adsense.
This can be very lucrative if you take it seriously. I’ve seen a ton of bloggers make extra income from Patreon just because their readers love what they do. I do recommend it to take it seriously, you can post there once a day or once a week, maybe a tutorial makeup or something going on with your life. Patrons don’t mind paying extra $2-3 (coffee) to support someone that brings them value and joy in their life.
Tips for a successful blogging
We covered a lot of things, but I would want to add a few tips I learned over the years.
- Having a habit of writing can help you a lot. Make a schedule if you want to post once a day or once a week, and always do it. You can force yourself to write 500-2000 words of quality content.
- If you decide to start a makeup blog and when you start creating posts on different topics (how to’s, makeup tutorial), make sure your blog post title and description have the keyword in it, so google can push you higher in the rankings.
- Creating your own style of writing and being natural.
- Open a google sheet to put keywords you found that are low competition. We have short memories so having them written in a sheet or piece of paper can be very beneficial. The next time you need to write a post you can always go to your sheet and see on what keyword you can make a blog post.
- Putting alternative text (alt) on your images. You can describe what your photo is about. Google will start ranking in you in Google Images.
- Putting the keyword in the first 150 words in your article. If you want to rank for best makeup tutorials online, make sure that the word is in the first 150 words.
- Don’t copy from other bloggers. Straight copying their content can only result in google pushing your site down in the rankings. If they have a good blog post just write yourself an article with your own photos and royalty-free images.
Starting a Beauty Blog – Conclusion
Hopefully, this guide on how to start a beauty blog helped you learn how to get your blog up and running. You can be very successful if you decide to go with beauty and makeup blogging.
Your blog is unique and has a unique story, that’s why you don’t need to be afraid of competition. Your blog can quickly start ranking for low competition keywords once you get a bit of authority.
You may be a crazy makeup lover or you own a beauty or makeup shop, so now it is the perfect way to connect more with your customers, and you don’t have any excuses to wait longer.
Go ahead and make the jump in blogging.